What I think a better leader is...

Currently, I am attending a leadership training organized my college, called Davenport Leadership Institute (DLI). After this training, I want to transform myself from a little kid with baby steps to someone who can fly a little higher while being able to dig a little deeper.

After watching a TED talk, I was a little bit relieved to hear that we all are leaders in our own ways; that we have impacted someone significantly at some point of our lives; and that we should be confident in ourselves.

Since I was younger, I was taught to always think that I was not good enough. Whatever I did, I always thought I could have done better. Or maybe, that's how I was brought up. This way of philosophy makes sense in its own way. Since you are never at your best, you should always try to become better.

Well, anyway, that's not the point that I want to emphasize here. So, this DLI brings together sixteen (potential) "leaders" from the campus. (P.S. They have to go through application and interview process to be a part of DLI.) And today, we had to make a program for high school students who would join us tomorrow. 

During our planning, we had the same goal: to let the students know that college is not out of reach and that there actually are options out in the real world other than college. Although we had the same goal, we had very different ways of reaching the goals. 

At some point, we had a heated discussion whether we should include an activity or not. The main argument was not whether the activity would benefit the students or not. Instead, we failed to listen to one another while we were explaining. Yes, the activity would bring benefit the students to an extent. But we just did not know where to put the program. As a result, we ended up arguing with one another.

After the incident, I told myself. I need to become more receptive. Becoming a leader does not mean that I know what other people should be doing. I need to listen more openly to what other people/leaders are saying. I should listen to and internalize their concerns and comments. Only then, a better resolution can be reached, I believe.

Yes, I do wish to become someone who can fly a little higher and can dig a little deeper... 

--
black/white 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VBA Chess Board without MOD

ေက်ာင္းေကာင္စီ သီခ်င္း

A Friend of Convenience